State law requires that students be 15 years old by the first classroom session of the course, that students not miss more than 3 classes, and that students not enroll after the third class. Teen driving courses must not be less than 5 weeks in length and all course requirements must be completed within 3 months. If all requirements are not finished by the deadline or they have missed more than 3 classes, it will be necessary to have an extension if a certificate of completion is desired. The extension fee is $175. A 1 month extension will be granted from the completion deadline date to complete all requirements. Please be advised that if all requirements haven’t been met and we haven’t been contacted for an extension before the 3 month completion deadline, the student will be dropped from the course and will need to purchase a new course to start from the beginning. Behind-the-wheel driving lessons are scheduled separately from the classroom sessions and typically extend beyond the last classroom session. No food, drink or gum is allowed in instruction cars or in the classroom. The participant and/or the parent or guardian of a minor participant, grants permission for the participant to have photos and/or videos taken of him/her, without recompense, to be used for publicity purpose.
Students are accountable for their classroom conduct and attendance. Students will be dismissed from the course without a refund for misbehavior, excessive tardiness, more than 3 absences, or multiple failed tests (score of 80% or below). All absences must be made-up and all failed tests must be retaken. Students will receive a course workbook at the start of the course. Replacement workbooks may be purchased for $10. Parents are expected to attend a parent informational session, during which intermediate licensing and organ donation will be discussed. Parental involvement is required if a student fails a test. Sears Driving School reserves the right to cancel any class due to low enrollment.
Students are required to complete 6 behind-the-wheel driving lessons. To reschedule or cancel behind-the-wheel lessons, students must contact our office or login to Schedule Agent at least 2 business days before the scheduled lesson. Weekends and holidays are not considered business days. If a student cancels a lesson within the required time for notice of cancellation, does not bring a valid learner’s permit to a lesson, or fails to show up for a lesson, the student will be charged as if he were present at the lesson. The student will be required to purchase an additional lesson to make-up for the missed lesson. Additional lessons are $80 per one hour lesson. Students are required to observe at least one other student’s lesson.
Upon successful completion of the course, including all required tests and activities, and upon the payment of tuition and fees, the Department of Licensing will be electronically notified that a student has passed our course, which must be done prior to obtaining a driver license. We will notify students via e-mail upon completion of our course. This notification to the Department of Licensing typically takes 2 to 3 weeks after all requirements are met. If you need expedited notification service, there will be a $29 rush fee charged.
All refunds are subject to a processing fee of $35 if requested 7 days before the first day of class. If you need to transfer classes, you must request it at least seven days before the first day of class. 50% of tuition will be refunded if cancellation occurs within 7 days of the first day of class, but before the 2nd class session. There are no refunds after the 2nd class.
Please review only those items pertaining to the course you have enrolled in.
Each time you drive with us you must carry a valid learner’s permit or license.
Lessons must be cancelled at least 2 business days by logging into Schedule Agent or contacting our office before the scheduled lesson. No shows or late cancellations will be charged as if you took the lesson/class. Refunds are subject to a $35 handling fee, if requested 2 business days prior to the scheduled appointment and no refunds will be given after that time. All lessons must be taken within 3 months of payment. There will be no refund on unused lessons.
To get a Washington State driver license, applicants are required to pass a knowledge and driving test. Sears Driving School of Washington are authorized by the Department of Licensing to provide both the knowledge and driving tests. In order to test with us, applicants must first visit a Department of Licensing office (or pre-apply online) to provide the necessary documents.
Please visit http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/teens.html for more information.
Applicants may also pre-apply online at: http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/preapply.html.
Scores for the knowledge and driving test will be reported to the Department of Licensing electronically within 24 hours. Passing the knowledge and driving test does not guarantee that an applicant will be issued a driver license. The Department of Licensing will determine if an applicant has met all licensing requirements. The Department of Licensing reserves the right to retest applicants who complete tests through Sears Driving School. Retesting is done at random at no cost to the applicant.
The knowledge test consists of 40 multiple-choice questions about traffic safety laws. Applicants must answer at least 32 questions correctly in order to pass the test. The knowledge test will be offered at specific times at select locations. For more information and to reserve your slot, please call our office at 425-747-2683.
There are no refunds for the driver license testing. Please call us first to confirm availability prior to purchasing.
1. At the time of the test, applicants must provide proof of identification such as a photo permit, an out of state license, a school I.D. card, or a school yearbook (if not using a Washington State issued form of I.D., applicant must bring their Department of Licensing issued confirmation number in addition to picture I.D.).
2. The fee for the Knowledge written exam is $35 for the first two attempts. Retake of the Knowledge written exam is $20 per attempt after the first two attempts. The Knowledge written exam consists of 40 multiple-choice questions about traffic safety laws. Applicants must answer at least 32 questions correctly to pass the exam. The applicant will have a maximum of 45 minutes to take the test.
3. The fee for the Skills drive test is $60 (applicant may use their own vehicle or use one of our vehicles). The Skills drive test will test the applicant’s ability to drive legally and safely. Applicants will need to demonstrate the arm signals prior to beginning the skills test, and must pass the driving test with a score of least 80%. In order to reschedule a test, you must contact our office at least 3 business days prior to the scheduled appointment. Weekends and holidays are not considered business days. A new test will need to be purchased if we do not receive the required notice.
4. There are no refunds for the testing/applications fees.
5. Applicants wishing to use their own vehicle for their Skills exam are required to provide proof of insurance and current registration (current tabs) on the day of the test. The car must be legal to operate on public streets. This includes, but is not limited to: windshield, seat belts, wipers, defroster, tires, mirrors, all brake and reverse lights, and turn signals.
6. If the applicant received a letter from the DOL to take an examination due to a physical, mental, visual, or medical issue, or if the applicant has any physical disability or limitation, the DOL requires that he or she must test at a DOL office. Failure to disclose this information prior to testing will result in the test(s) taken with us not being honored at the DOL. Testing/application fees will not be refunded.
7. If the applicant is testing due to the installation of a Blow-and-Go ignition interlock device, this device must be installed in the vehicle to be used by the applicant prior to testing.
8. Scores will be entered into the Department of Licensing (DOL) database within 24 hours. Applicants must still visit a DOL office to apply for a permit or license after passing the tests. Passing the Knowledge and/or Skills test does not guarantee that an applicant will be issued a driver license. The Department of Licensing will determine if an applicant has met all licensing requirements.
9. The Department of Licensing reserves the right to conduct random re-examinations. Applicants refusing to take a re-examination may have their license revoked.
10. Any grievances about a driving test must be submitted in writing with a carbon copy of the test. Mail this to: Sears Driving School, 2200 148th AVE NE, Redmond WA 98052.
11. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.
12. By purchasing a test, the purchaser acknowledges notification of our policies and procedures regarding testing.